Our Congregation’s Responses to questions about the Earth’s Environment:
Questions were posed and responses invited on posters in Webster Hall. |Environmental awareness and activities will be a focus for 2CC during Lent 2014.
What are your concerns about the world’s environment?
– loss of species due to global warming
– loss of habitat
– loss of wild scenic places
– changes in weather patterns
– pollution of air, water, land
– the effect of acid rain on the environment and historic man-made places
– garbage in the oceans and washing up on shore
– medication-resistant organisms
What do we need?
– sustainable farming to help avoid loss of affordable food available to all. There is enough for all if we learn to conserve and share.
– make better use of what we have
– clean drinking water for everyone
What are you doing to help care for the earth’s environment?
– recycling, re-using, reducing
– growing a garden for human edibles and of flowers to attract and feed honeybees
– using a mulching lawnmower
– reusable shopping bags
– traded in truck for Prius plug-in
– opening windows instead of using air conditioning
– insulating our home properly
– avoiding bottled water (to reduce waste plastic)
– having fewer garbage cans (to reduce number of garbage bags used)
– using LED bulbs instead of incandescent or fluorescent
– sweeping instead of vacuuming
– combining errands to use less gas