68th Annual Snowball Bazaar, handicapped accessible, takes place Friday Dec 2 from 6:00-8:30pm, and Saturday Dec. 3 from 9:30am-3:00pm at Second Congregational Church, 115 Hillside St, (1/2 block east of the Friendly’s on US 7). Check out Serendipity’s giant tag sale of “recycled” treasures and the bazaar’s beautiful Christmas wreaths and centerpieces, baked goods table including “Ugly Christmas Sweater” cookies. Homemade supper and desserts Friday evening. Homemade luncheon and snacks on Saturday. “Pet Pourri” has toys and treats for dogs, cats, wild birds and pet owners. Treasure Chest and Silent Auction have unique quality gifts and services. Besides helping to maintain Second Congregational Church, which hosted over 500 meetings by 50 different community groups in its building so far during 2016, funds raised by the Snowball Bazaar help support the local Kitchen Cupboard food pantry, the Bennington Free Clinic and other needs locally and abroad.
“The Glory of God is the human being fully alive!”Whoever you are and wherever you are on life’s journey, YOU are invited to join is on the journey at Second Congregational — a church for young and old and in-between. Second Congregational Church is a progressive church, musical and mission-minded, with opportunities for questioning and seeking. Vermont’s first “Open and Affirming” Congregation of the United Church of Christ, we welcome all people of faith or in search of faith to our work and worship, without regard to age, race, economic condition, disability, or sexual orientation.
BIRTHDAYS AND CELEBRATIONS THIS WEEK:
Celebrations this week:
Dec 5 – Sue Wiskoski
Dec 8 – Maggie Payne
Dec 9 – Charlene Adams
Dec 11 – Marquis Winslow
11:30 am Ministries Council (Clayton Rm)
5:00 pm Sunday Supper
- Interested in finding out about becoming a member of Second Congregational Church? Pick up a packet of information on the table in the lobby today. We’d like to receive a class of new members before the year ends. For more information, speak with Mary Lee-Clark
- For those who would like to use the online giving program but would like help please see Erin or Dave Adams. You may fill out an application which you can get from Erin and she will be happy to do the data entry for you.
- Thousands of thanks to all of the many helpers that made the Snowball Bazaar a success!!!
- December 6, Tuesday – Deacons Meeting 7-8pm Room 2
- December 7, Wednesday Fellowship Luncheon
- December 10, Saturday – The annual Christmas Tea at St Peter’s.
- December 11, Sunday, 3 p.m. – The annual memorial service sponsored by the Bennington Area Hospice will be on Sunday at the UU Hall.
- December 18—Improv Christmas Pageant and Jazz Christmas during Worship, followed by Jesus’ Birthday party
On Sunday September 25 Second Congo celebrated its 180th birthday. The special worship service featured four historical characters from the church’s past, and four “Grasshopper Tales” (five-minute stories, in the style of Moth Radio stories, each told by a member of the congregation who participated in a “leap of faith” in the church’s history). The adult choir sang and the handbell choir rang, both under the direction of Sue Green. Vintage photographs and newspaper clippings from events such as the explosion of the church organ, will be on display in the social hall.
It featured live music, kids’ activities, and over 25 different community and environmentally friendly groups, including an eclectic mix of groups who meet regularly at the church – from beekeepers to quilters. Live and lively music was provided by The Hale Mountain Pickers. Lunch was prepared by a local professional chef and her team, all from the congregation. Read More
. . . . . read all
After a number of years of faithfully and expertly nurturing our church gardens, David Knighton was recognized after worship recently …
Sunday June 5 During worship, third grade students were given bibles, and teachers and other leaders were acknowledged. A picnic …
The cold reality of human impact on the environment Update on Eaarth Advocates’ Environmental Activism So, Why is “Eaarth” spelled …
Living Lightly on God’s Earth: A Guide to Spiritual Practices Focused on the Environment During Lent, instead of fasting, …
Want to know more about the national United Church of Christ that we’re a part of?
Second Congregational Church, 115 Hillside Street, Bennington VT 05201
Telephone: 802-442-2559, e-mail: email@example.com
Or visit the church
From middle of town intersection of Routes 7 & 9, take Route 7 south 2 blocks.
Turn left onto Hillside St. (just before Friendly’s).
Church is located on right at top of hill.
We will be pleased to hear from you