Sun and Fun community festival at Second Congo: Fidel creates rhythm on the Native American
drum as folks dance with the blanket of stars. Join us Saturday August 19, 10am-3pm
What does it mean to “Be the Church”: Care for the poor. Fight for the powerless: Share earthly and spiritual resources: Protect the environment: Reject racism: Celebrate diversity: Forgive often: Love God. Enjoy this life
“The Glory of God is the human being fully alive!”Whoever you are and wherever you are on life’s journey, YOU are invited to join is on the journey at Second Congregational — a church for young and old and in-between. Second Congregational Church is a progressive church, musical and mission-minded, with opportunities for questioning and seeking. Vermont’s first “Open and Affirming” Congregation of the United Church of Christ, we welcome all people of faith or in search of faith to our work and worship, without regard to age, race, economic condition, disability, or sexual orientation.
A worship service brimming with joyful music to honor Choir Director Emerita Linda Johnson on June 16 raised many joyful noises unto the Lord – piano, organ, chancel choir, handbell choir, Gospel singers and hymns – within the setting of the origami spiral of the Pentecostal cranes of peace.
The Jubellaire Handbell Ringers called us to worship with “Spirit Song,” accompanied by Jenn Clarkson-Smith on flute. The Chancel Choir and the Gospel Singers, under the direction of Music Director Matt Edwards, offered anthems and songs to “sing us into God’s presence.” Rev. Mary Lee-Clark’s sermon, based on Psalm 100, was entitled, “A Joyful Noise.”The spirit of Pentecost, when the Holy Spirit descended and landed on the heads of the disciples, continued to be celebrated with the red vestment on the communion table and the spiral of origami doves of peace ascending upwards. A special Sunday Social in Webster Hall honored Linda Johnson, Choir Director Emerita, for her over 40 years directing the choir.
BIRTHDAYS AND CELEBRATIONS THIS WEEK:
Aug 20 – Janice & Ty Campbell’s 45th Anniversary!
Aug 21 – Finn Payne
Aug 24 – Kinsey Boudreau
Aug 26 – Colleen Nesbit
Aug 27 – Grace & George Sohn’s Anniversary!
5:00 pm Sunday Supper
- We need adults willing to care for any young children who may join us this summer in the nursery. Our Safe Church policy requires that there be two adults present, so sign up with a friend or partner. Obviously you’ll only have to be in the nursery if there are children who need that care, and otherwise you can be in worship. Sign-up sheet on the folding doors in Webster Hall.
- Gospel Singers will rehearse on Wednesday, August 23 at 7pm in the Sanctuary. Newcomers always welcome. We have fun!!
- There will be a 20-minute organizational meeting for all drivers of Spanish-speaking Head Start children on Sunday August 27 at 11:30 in the Clayton room. We can use more substitute drivers and one organizer who is good with schedules and willing to make phone calls. Spanish proficiency would be a major help. If you can do either, please join us!
- A few openings are available for new Worship Greeters in the upcoming schedule which David Haley is arranging. He invites anyone (of any age) to greet on any two Sundays from Sept. 3 to Aug. 26. You may ask your spouse, partner, friend, parent or children to greet alongside you. Your two Sundays may be consecutive or separated. Volunteers are needed to help the Oral Health Coalition with screenings at Mt. Anthony Union High School, this Thursday and Friday, Aug. 24 and 25, from 8:30 a.m.-4 p.m. If you can help during any of those times, contact Penny Vanaman, firstname.lastname@example.org or 802-447-3700.
- If any “veteran” Greeters would like to “retire” or need to choose different Sundays, please let David know by Aug. 23 either in person or by leaving a message at 447-7178.
Want to know more about the national United Church of Christ that we’re a part of?
Second Congregational Church, 115 Hillside Street, Bennington VT 05201
Telephone: 802-442-2559, e-mail: email@example.com
Or visit the church
From middle of town intersection of Routes 7 & 9, take Route 7 south 2 blocks.
Turn left onto Hillside St. (just before Friendly’s).
Church is located on right at top of hill.
We will be pleased to hear from you