Sun and Fun community festival at Second Congo: Fidel creates rhythm on the Native American
drum as folks dance with the blanket of stars. Join us Saturday August 19, 10am-3pm
What does it mean to “Be the Church”: Care for the poor. Fight for the powerless: Share earthly and spiritual resources: Protect the environment: Reject racism: Celebrate diversity: Forgive often: Love God. Enjoy this life
“The Glory of God is the human being fully alive!”Whoever you are and wherever you are on life’s journey, YOU are invited to join is on the journey at Second Congregational — a church for young and old and in-between. Second Congregational Church is a progressive church, musical and mission-minded, with opportunities for questioning and seeking. Vermont’s first “Open and Affirming” Congregation of the United Church of Christ, we welcome all people of faith or in search of faith to our work and worship, without regard to age, race, economic condition, disability, or sexual orientation.
A big Thank You to sponsors Solar Pro Vermont , Second Congregational, Bennington, and Climate Advocates Bennington of 350 Vermont who helped to make Sun and Fun a success!
BIRTHDAYS AND CELEBRATIONS THIS WEEK:
Sept 17 – George Gilman
18 – Ruth Nolan
20 – Austin Buttle
22 – Barbara Primmer
23 – Polly Howe
24 – Ben Winslow
- 5:00 pm Sunday SupperTHIS WEEK:Weds, Sept 20th 7pm Climate Advocates will be meeting in the Clayton Rm.
- OTHER NEWS:
- Thurs., Sept. 21, 7 p.m. — Second Congo Choir rehearsal — All are welcome!
- Gospel Singers!! There will be a rehearsal on Weds, Sept 20 at 4:45pm in the Sanctuary. Anyone always welcome.
- We need adults willing to care for any young children who may join us on Sundays, in the nursery. Our Safe Church policy requires that there be two adults present, so sign up with a friend or partner. Obviously you’ll only have to be in the nursery if there are children who need that care, and otherwise you can be in worship. Sign-up sheet on the folding doors in Webster Hall.
- School kit supplies usually go on sale during the summer. The following items go into the school bags: Notebooks, 70 count, and wide ruled paper, boxes of 24 crayons, pencils, unsharpened, 12 inch rulers, large erasers and blunt pointed scissors. I am always willing to take donations and do the shopping for you. Thank you for help. Pat Lafontaine
- Back to School:For questions and donations please see Sue DeLucia.
- With the beginning of another school year the Bennington school nurses would be grateful again for some needed supplies for our area children. Mostly needed are girls and boys sweatpants and underwear sizes 5-10 years. As the weather gets colder they could also use some hats and mittens and socks. If you are not sure what to get I will gladly do the shopping for you.
- Hurricane Harvey’s victims need almost everything. We can help by making Hygiene Kits this month. Lorna has ordered wide-tooth combs, toothbrushes, nail clippers and band aids in large quantities for a huge saving. What we need now is bath-sized soap and especially money to pay for these items. Please give donations to Lorna or NancyJean.
- We are still receiving contributions for hurricane relief through the United Church of Christ. Checks may be made out to “Second Congregational Church” with “Hurricane Relief” in the memo line.
- If you can, please consider helping the thousands of animals who have also been displaced and injured from Harvey. Not only owned dogs, cats, livestock and horses, but homeless animals, too. Veterinarians and shelters have been working tirelessly providing emergency veterinary medical care and other services to those in need, and we know many of you want to support their work. There are numerous shelters who need help including the Houston SPCA, BARC, in Houston, the Harris County Animal Shelter, and the SPCA of Barzoria County Houston, K911 Rescue, Warriors Educate about Rescue, S.A.V.E Rescue coalition, or the Rescued Pets Movement. You can check them out on the net or contact Kathy Shaw for more information. 447-8982
. . . . . read all
Want to know more about the national United Church of Christ that we’re a part of?
Second Congregational Church, 115 Hillside Street, Bennington VT 05201
Telephone: 802-442-2559, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Or visit the church
From middle of town intersection of Routes 7 & 9, take Route 7 south 2 blocks.
Turn left onto Hillside St. (just before Friendly’s).
Church is located on right at top of hill.
We will be pleased to hear from you