Advent, the season leading up to Christmas may be an invitation to awaken from our numbed endurance and our domesticated expectations, to consider our life afresh in light of new gifts that God is about to give…” Be ready at any moment for God to appear in your life as inspiration, opportunity, insight, person, possibility.
Our church’s banner photo (above) is of the snowflakes (each one unique just as people are) and the trees… all made by Barbara true-Weber and other creative people of our church especially for Advent 2016. Advent, the season leading up to Christmas, is “an invitation to awaken from our numbed endurance and our domesticated expectations, to consider our life afresh in light of new gifts that God is about to give…” Be ready at any moment for God to appear in your life as inspiration, opportunity, insight, person, possibility.
“The Glory of God is the human being fully alive!”Whoever you are and wherever you are on life’s journey, YOU are invited to join is on the journey at Second Congregational — a church for young and old and in-between. Second Congregational Church is a progressive church, musical and mission-minded, with opportunities for questioning and seeking. Vermont’s first “Open and Affirming” Congregation of the United Church of Christ, we welcome all people of faith or in search of faith to our work and worship, without regard to age, race, economic condition, disability, or sexual orientation.
BIRTHDAYS AND CELEBRATIONS THIS WEEK:
Celebrations this week:
Jan 27 – Jack O’Keefe
Noon–Church Annual Meeting preceded by a potluck lunch. If you’ve brought a dish to share, great! Please come, even if you haven’t brought a dish
5:00 pm Sunday Supper
- Home stretch…. to suggest and to offer items for our Memory Capsule of 2016 to be opened on our church’s 200th birthday in 2036. Please give to Mary or Lorna if you have:
– photographs of our church and its activities in 2016 (we can copy and return originals to you)
– a recording of one of our worship services
– our current hymnal
– items representative of Kits of the Heart, Savoonga and other mission projects
– Sun and Fun poster and/or t-shirt
– something to recognize the work of Eaarth Advocates
– an electric bill, showing the credit we earn through our solar panels
– something to recognize “Joyful Path” children’s curriculum
– a collar from a choir gown and/or a piece of music the choir has offered in 2016
– Spring Ring or other representing our handbell choir
– red bumper sticker or t-shirt “Changing lives since 1836”
– other from 2016
- CWS school bags need to be sewn; please see Pat Lafontaine if you have any questions.
- Freezer For sale – Large upright in excellent working condition. See Ada Sue Diamond or call 442-5865
On Sunday September 25 Second Congo celebrated its 180th birthday. The special worship service featured four historical characters from the church’s past, and four “Grasshopper Tales” (five-minute stories, in the style of Moth Radio stories, each told by a member of the congregation who participated in a “leap of faith” in the church’s history). The adult choir sang and the handbell choir rang, both under the direction of Sue Green. Vintage photographs and newspaper clippings from events such as the explosion of the church organ, will be on display in the social hall.
It featured live music, kids’ activities, and over 25 different community and environmentally friendly groups, including an eclectic mix of groups who meet regularly at the church – from beekeepers to quilters. Live and lively music was provided by The Hale Mountain Pickers. Lunch was prepared by a local professional chef and her team, all from the congregation. Read More
. . . . . read all
Want to know more about the national United Church of Christ that we’re a part of?
Second Congregational Church, 115 Hillside Street, Bennington VT 05201
Telephone: 802-442-2559, e-mail: email@example.com
Or visit the church
From middle of town intersection of Routes 7 & 9, take Route 7 south 2 blocks.
Turn left onto Hillside St. (just before Friendly’s).
Church is located on right at top of hill.
We will be pleased to hear from you